If you are fond of hunting, you will agree that having the best crossbow matters a lot. A good crossbow should have the ability to shoot arrows in the fastest way possible. It should also be able to generate power, and the quality should be unmatched. Top-quality crossbows can be a bit costly, but that does not mean that you cannot find the best crossbow under 400.
You will realize that crossbows don’t function the same. Some perform excellently and more accurately, while others don’t have much power. All in all, what you have to understand that crossbows should serve the purpose you want. To take your hunting experience a notch higher, it is paramount that you invest in the right crossbow.
How Many Fps Is A Good Crossbow?
When it comes to killing an animal, the speed of an arrow is released by a crossbow matter to a great extent. Generally, crossbows shoot faster than any other bows hence an excellent hunting companion to have. Crossbow speeds are usually measured in feet-per-second, that is, FPS determine the distance at which an arrow shot covers. A crossbow having a velocity of 300 fps is a good start off. A good crossbow should never be below 350 fps, especially for your very first crossbow. Always remember that the speed of an arrow, when released, will determine your hunting experience.
Note: We have taken a look at how many FPS is a good crossbow should have. In our next article, you will find detailed information about the types of crossbows that will enable you to understand the various kinds of crossbows.
Table of Content:
Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
Killer Instinct Crossbows Ripper 415 Crossbow Kit, CAMO
Carbon Express Blade X-Force Blade Crossbow Ready-to-Hunt Kit (Rope Cocker, 3 Bolt Quiver, 3 Crossbolts, Rail Lubricant, 3 Practice Points, 4x32x 40mm)
CenterPoint AXCS185CK Sniper 370 Crossbow Package, Camouflage
CenterPoint Sniper 370 Crossbow Package
5 Best Crossbows Under 400 Reviews 2020
Before hitting the market to buy a hunting crossbow, there are some details you have to understand that will enable you to make a well-informed choice. There are various crossbows available in the market, with each having its specific kind of features and functionalities. This review will enable you to understand the multiple crossbows available in the market. As such, you will be able to find the best crossbow under 400.
1. Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
The Barnett crossbow is one of the powerful bows that can shoot at a speed of 350 feet per second. With its draw weight being 150 lbs., it means you can hold the crossbow well and operate it without any challenge. This is the best value crossbow made with Realtree Extra Camo material, which is of high quality.
Without a doubt, this is an exceptional crossbow whose overall weight is 6. 4 lbs—making it easy to handle the bow. Its axle to axle measurements is 16. 125″ having dimensions of 34. 25″L x 18. 25″. With such measurements, you can be sure that you will work with this crossbow regardless of your size.
This Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow features trigger tech technology for zero-creep release. Apart from that, it is designed with stainless steel components that ensure resistance to bad weather. Additionally, it also includes 4×32 scope, nock sensor, and rope cocking device, all meant to give this crossbow better performance.
Barnett Whitetail Features:
- A powerful crossbow that can shoot at a speed of 350 ft per second
- Its draw weight is 150 lbs. meaning you can hold and operate this crossbow quite well.
- It features trigger tech technology that enhances zero creep release.
- This crossbow is designed with stainless steel components that make it resistant to bad weather.
- It is quite light, having an overall weight of 6.4 lbs. meaning you can carry and handle this bow easily.
2. Killer Instinct Crossbows Ripper 415 Crossbow Kit, CAMO
The Killer Instinct Ripper 415 Crossbow comes with a 415-fps bolt shooting speed, making it the best hunting crossbow. That is how fast this ripper crossbow can shoot! It is not only capable of shooting arrows at such a high speed but also pumps out arrows extremely fast. All these happen within a 1-inch area to around 80 yards.
For ultimate performance, this Instinct crossbow is unmatched having a 3.5-pound KillerTech trigger. This trigger is always crisp and consistent, aiding in long-range accurateness. What also ensures top-notch performance is the forearm grip for comfort and fully adjustable stock plus custom rubber shock absorbers.
The Ripper 415 Crossbow Kit features 1 ½ inch of shooter adjustment for custom comfort required by every hunter. This ripper crossbow can take down even the strongest animals when hunting because of its ability to generate 149 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. Despite its high performance, it is the best crossbow under 400 dollars proving to be quite affordable.
Killer Instinct Features:
- A crossbow with 415-fps bolt shooting arrows speed and ability pump out hands fast.
- The Killer Instinct crossbow comes with a 3.5-pound KillerTech trigger for maximum performance.
- It also features an exceptional forearm grip that is adjustable for comfort.
- This crossbow generates kinetic energy of up to 149 foot-pounds able to take down even the big animals when hunting.
- The crossbow kit comes with 1 ½ inch of shooter adjustment for better performance.
3. Carbon Express Blade X-Force Blade Crossbow Ready-to-Hunt Kit
The Carbon Express Blade fires arrows at a fast lighting speed of up to 320 FPS. This Blade crossbow has an 86.3 ft/lb. Kinetic energy offering top reliable performance. It is also fitted with an extruded aluminum rail that is customized to enhance performance.
This is a lightweight X-Force Blade Crossbow weighing 5% lighter than all of its other competition. It is the lightest weight crossbow that comes with an adjustable foregrip and butt-stock that ensure customized grip for accuracy. With this crossbow, you will not have a hard time when hunting because of its lightweight nature.
The ready to hunt kit comes inclusive of rail lubricant, three-bolt quiver, rope cocker, three practice points, and 3 Cross bolts. All these are meant to ensure premium performance at an affordable price. The components of this kit make this crossbow best crossbow for deer hunting more so due to its consistency when shooting.
Carbon Express Features:
- This crossbow comes with a speed of 320 FPS that fires arrows at a fast speed.
- A lightweight crossbow is weighing 5% lighter than all other bows making it quite easy to handle.
- The 86.3 ft/lb. of kinetic energy offered by this crossbow enables it to deliver robust, reliable performance.
- This X-Force Blade comes with an adjustable foregrip as well as butt-stock for customized grip accuracy.
- It comes with an aluminum rail that is extruded to ensure better performance.
4. CenterPoint AXCS185CK Sniper 370 Crossbow Package, Camouflage
The Sniper 370 crossbow is an exceptional shooting crossbow that comes with an even higher price. This is also the lightest crossbow on the market, having a 185-pound draw weight. Its 18-inch axle-to-axle width allows this crossbow to full draw. It offers a 370 FPS high performance at an affordable price, making it a good budget crossbow.
This CenterPoint Sniper comes with an adjustable foregrip and stock fully customized to fit shoulders appropriately. Apart from giving shoulders confidence, this crossbow is also equipped with quad limbs that come with an accurate-machine cams system. This is meant to deliver accuracy and power when shooting arrows.
This is a crossbow that is quiet due to its integrated string suppressors that also ensure vibration-free arrow shots. It is a lightweight crossbow in design that is easy to carry in the field when hunting. Apart from that, it comes with an anti-dry fire trigger that is appropriate for both left and right-handed hunters.
- It comes with a draw weight of 180 pounds, making it one of the lightest crossbows available in the market.
- This CenterPoint Sniper features an adjustable foregrip for better performance.
- A Sniper crossbow that comes with an accurate-machine cams system that delivers precise arrow shots.
- This crossbow features integrated string suppressors that allow vibration-free arrow shots.
- This is an appropriate crossbow for right and left-handed hunters due to its anti-dry trigger.
5. CenterPoint Sniper 370 Crossbow Package
From the design to its features, the CenterPoint Sniper 370 crossbow proves to be the best hunting crossbow for the money you have budgeted. It delivers the high performance of up to 370 FPS. This kind of speed enables this crossbow to have accuracy hence will not disappoint. It can generate 113.9 ft-lbs. drawing up to 185 pounds in terms of weight.
With the Sniper 370, you will enjoy accurate shots due to its precision machined camera system. Its quad limbs enable this crossbow to deliver power by allowing you to hit the target right at the center without missing. This is the great advantage you will have once you get this Sniper 370 crossbow.
What sets this CenterPoint crossbow apart is its lightweight design and fully adjustable foregrip. This way, you can customize the crossbow anyway you want to suit your needs. Apart from that, the trigger creep offered by this crossbow shortens the time the sear drops before discharging the arrow.
- The Sniper 370 has an arrow speed of 370 FPS, making it exceptional in terms of speed and power.
- This crossbow features a machined camera system meant to ensure precision and accuracy.
- It comes with an adjustable butt-stock that enables you to adjust suitably to suit you perfectly.
- The tripper creep feature of this crossbow shortens arrow discharge time once the sear drops.
- This is quite a lightweight crossbow that makes it easy when handling.
What To Consider Before Buying A Crossbow Under 400
Having the right crossbow is essential, whether as an experienced hunter or as a first-timer. Understanding what to look for in the best crossbow under 400 will enable you to make an informed decision before purchasing. This will also ensure that you get a top-notch quality affordable crossbow. There are paramount factors to consider that will enable you to buy the right crossbow. If you are interested in buying a crossbow, but you have no idea where to start, worry not because we got you covered. Take a look at some of the importer pointers to look into when purchasing a crossbow.
One of the most important features when considering to buy a crossbow is velocity. This means the measure of time an arrow can shoot in a second. Velocity is measured in feet per second (FPS). Now, what you have to understand is the more the velocity a crossbow has, the better the performance and speed. I am sure that you want a crossbow that does not disappoint when it comes to speed, power, and accuracy.
This is an essential consideration when it comes to choosing a crossbow. Comfortability is of utmost importance. You want a light crossbow, one that you can handle well while hunting. If the crossbow is not comfortable enough, you might end up injuring yourself. What is of utmost importance if getting a crossbow that will enable you to hunt satisfactorily.
This is the amount of effort that you exert into a crossbow to cock it and prepare it to hunt. The heaviness of the draw weight will determine the power of the crossbow. Always remember that the draw weight always determines the easiness of handling the crossbow. It also manages arrow speed. However, the draw weight should never be very high because it causes difficulty when using the bow.
One thing for sure is, you can find quality crossbows without spending much. If you want to spend no more than $400, stick to that. You can find great crossbows having good velocity within this price range. Never overspend just to get an overpriced crossbow when you can still get an affordable one with topmost performance.
Get a crossbow with several features, for it will help you have a great hunting experience. The performance will also be determined by having several features. This does not mean the price will go up, on the contrary. Extra features are essential in ensuring the efficiency and performance of crossbows.
Note: In our previous article, we have discussed in length how to choose a crossbow. For more information, you can read through for more details.
Why Should You Buy A Crossbow Under $400
Several advantages should make you a crossbow under $400. Some of them are:
- A good crossbow will ensure you enjoy high performance with a top speed of up to 370 FPS. This kind of speed enables any crossbow to achieve a high level of accuracy.
- This crossbow under $400 is of top quality, which means you can get an affordable crossbow without spending much. As such, you do not have to pay much to have the right crossbow.
- With this crossbow, you can adjust its foregrip as you please. This will enable you to adjust the crossbow appropriately to choose the fitting you desire.
- If you have a crossbow, you will have a customized grip that will enable you to achieve accuracy. You will also enjoy consistent accurateness when taking long-range shots.
- A crossbow makes you enjoy high shooting sped than you can imagine. You will also be able to pump out arrows fast.
These are some of the advantages of having a crossbow. Now, you can choose to buy the best crossbow from our review on the best crossbow under 400.
Frequently Asked Questions
How far can a crossbow shoot accurately?
Should I hunt with a crossbow?
Are crossbows good for home defense?
Do Special Forces use crossbows?
How long will a crossbow last?
The best crossbow is one that meets your needs and fulfills what you desire. There are many crossbows you can choose from, all depending on the speed and other factors. As long as the crossbow you want can enhance accurateness, then you are good to go. The best crossbow under 400 is available in the market. All you have to do is bear in mind the different
By carefully looking into the several crossbows outlined, my best choice would be the Carbon Express Blade X-Force Blade Crossbow Ready-to-Hunt Kit. This is the best crossbow under 400 you can get due to its exquisite features. It fires arrows at breakneck speed with a lot of power, delivering unmatched performance. It is also light having an adjustable foregrip for customized accuracy.