Are you a deer hunter and finding the best crossbow for deer hunting? Well. Finding a crossbow for the purpose you are seeking is not as difficult as you are thinking. But it can be a daunting task for those who actually do not have enough knowledge about a crossbow for deer hunting.
For this prospective, you have to spend a lot of time researching and then you can be able to pick one for your needs. Maybe, you are still wondering because you don’t have enough time to spend for the time-consuming research, right? In this review guide, we will assist you finding the best one for your need having your desired features as well.
How Far Can You Shoot A Deer With A Crossbow?
A crossbow is an ideal weapon to hunt animals like deer. If you are skilled, you can hunt a deer with a crossbow. A powerful modern crossbow will help you to shoot a deer. A skilled shooter can shoot up to 80 yards. But you, as a hunter, should stick to 60 yards for better performance.
Note: If you want to learn more about how far you can shoot a deer with a crossbow, meaning the use of the crossbow, you can check our recently published article on how do you use a crossbow.
Table of content:
The following table of content will show you a quick glimpse of our chosen crossbows for hip deer hunting. It will help you understand what we have covered in this article so far.
After selecting the 5 best crossbows for deer hunting, we have compared them with each other so that you can better understand. Also, if you don’t have enough time to go through the whole article, you can have a quick look at the chart as well.
PSE Thrive 400 Crossbow Kryptek Highlander 175lbs 4x32 Illuminated Scope Package
CenterPoint Tormentor Whisper AXCTW185CK Compound Crossbow with 4x32 Scope, RCD
BARNETT Whitetail Hunter STR Crossbow in Mossy Oak Bottomland
Bear X Saga 370 Ready-to-Hunt Crossbow Package
Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
5 Best Crossbow For Deer Hunting Reviews 2020
When you are going for deer hunting, you require more attention to your crossbows. However, in this article, we have compiled 5 best crossbow for deer hunting after our extensive research spending numerous hours so that you can get the best one which will fulfill your needs. Also, their features should match your requirements.
1. PSE Thrive 400 Crossbow Kryptek Highlander 175lbs 4×32 Illuminated Scope Package
PSE Thrive 400 Crossbow comes with its incomparable speed, meaning that it can shoot with 400 fps. Crossbow fps for deer hunting is another must-have aspect, it should have. The crossbow has four 22 inches of carbon bolts and one discharge bolt. It has compound bow features which will benefit you extra speed and accuracy to target your desired thing at a specific distance.
Reverse Cam System helps you to create a wide range of power stroke. In this way, it increases the kinetic energy for each shot for better performances. This kinetic energy will allow you to shoot a deer faster than other crossbows. Its anti-dry fire ensures the ultimate safety at the time of operating the weapon. Therefore, it should be top crossbows for deer hunting.
If you are a hunter, you already know that shooting with a crossbow creates irritating noise from the string of the crossbow. But the unwanted noise should be removed. Yes, the device comes with scope and stops installed which helps you to dampen the noise and vibration of the crossbow while shooting.
PSE Thrive 400 Crossbow Features:
- The crossbow comes with 400 fps that helps you to shoot faster. So, you can shoot a deer from a long distance.
- Its CNC precision allows you to increase power, speed and accuracy. You can better target the animal you want to hunt.
- Your every shot becomes more powerful with a longer power stroke due to having reverse cam system.
- For noise reduction, it comes with scope and stops installed, meaning that 4×32 illuminated scope and string eliminate the noise and vibration.
- The crossbow has anti-dry fire which helps you proper safety while shooting with the weapon.
2. CenterPoint Tormentor Whisper AXCTW185CK Compound Crossbow with 4×32 Scope, RCD
CenterPoint Tormentor Compound Crossbow helps you to hunt a deer well because of its shooting speeds. Yes, the crossbow’s kinetic energy is up to 120 fps, meaning that the weapon can be faster and go up to 120 feet per second which is really beneficial for deer hunting. In this sense, it should be the best crossbow for hunting.
Its whisper silencing system inspire you to shoot without worrying about the irritating noise produced by the crossbow. The scope and string are prevented from producing noise at the time of shooting. Its axle to axle width narrow 14 inch cocked allows you to shoot better. Not only that the compact design of the crossbow helps you to pack inside your backpack easily.
It is easy to assemble and comes with a detailed pictured manual so that you can assemble the device yourself. The weapon also comes with quiver which benefits you to keep your bows for several shots at a time. You can draw the bow which is 185lbs meaning a lot of power. It is also easy to maneuver in stand or blind so far.
CenterPoint Tormentor Features:
- This crossbow comes with whisper silencing system that helps you to prevent producing unwanted noise.
- Narrow 14 inch cocked axle width allows you easy maneuvering in the blind or stand.
- It comes with riser which is aluminum to make the crossbow sturdier.
- The crossbow provide huge kinetic energy and it is up to 120 fps, so you can better hunt the deer you want.
- The safety mechanism of the crossbow is up to the mark, meaning that you can operate the crossbow without any worry.
3. BARNETT Whitetail Hunter STR Crossbow in Mossy Oak Bottomland
If you are in search of a deer hunting crossbow, BARNETT Whitetail Hunter STR Crossbow should be one of the best one that may suit your needs. With the crossbow, you can hunt better because of having some awesome characteristics of the product. It comes with 375 fps which enables you to hunt a deer from a long distance easily if you can target well.
Being lightweight, you can carry the crossbow effortlessly. Not only that it has only single bolt assembly along with anti-dry fire which help you to shoot better. It has finger safety reminders to remind you if your finger is at risk. It comes with soft look floating bristle arrow to prevent you from dry-firing. Also, it has 118.6 kinetic energy but you need to purchase separately.
On a budget, if you are finding the best crossbows for the money, it can be your best suit. You don’t need to worry about the assembly of the crossbow because it comes assembled in the most cases. And, it is almost ready to hunt, meaning it has 4×32 millimeters multi-reticle scope, two 22 inches headhunter arrows to inspire you to shoot rightaway.
BARNETT Crossbow Features:
- It is a high-performance crossbow that allows you to hunt rightaway.
- 375 fps helps a hunter to hunt a deer from a long distance if the target is perfect. It enables you to leave the bow faster.
- Soft look floating bristle arrow retainer help you to prevent dry-firing.
- It comes with lightweight quiver which helps you to carry the crossbow easily and increase your performance.
- The crossbow has premium illuminated 4×32 millimeters multi-reticle scope for better targeting and shooting.
4. Bear X Saga 370 Ready-to-Hunt Crossbow Package
Bear X Saga Crossbow is a good hunting crossbow because of having the adjustable cheek piece and rear stock. Its 30 of adjustment and five settings allow you to set up the crossbow differently according to your preferences. It is lightweight so you can carry and shoot effortlessly. It is only 7.8 lbs and has a kinetic energy of 110.8 which helps you to shoot faster than other crossbows.
As a hunter, you do not want your crossbow to produce huge noise that will make you unstable while shooting. Its dual-mounting string recoil suppressor system does the perfect game, meaning to reduce the unwanted noise that may produce at the time of shooting. Also, the technology prevents the crossbow from making vibration.
Depending on the bolt’s weight, you will receive different shoot speed. But the actual shoot speed of the crossbow is up to 370 fps which is up to the mark and ideal to hunt a deer if you can target it perfectly. It should be the best crossbow for the price because it’s price is less but does not compromise with its quality and features.
Bear X Saga 370 Ready-to-Hunt Crossbow Features:
- The Adjustable cheek piece and rear stock with 30 helps you to adjust five settings according to your preferences.
- Dual-mount string recoil suppressor system prevent the crossbow to produce unwanted noise and vibration.
- It is lightweight and compact in design, so you can carry the crossbow anywhere you need it.
- It comes with 110.84 kinetic energy which allows you faster hunting at a long distance where your target lies.
- The crossbow can shoot up to 370 fps and varies the speed depending on the bolt’s weight you use for hunting.
5. Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
According to our review of these crossbows, Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow should be the top rated crossbows. It comes with 350 fps (feet per second) which enables you to shoot way faster than that of similar crossbows out there in the market. It has the draw weight of 150 lbs which can produce 103 ft lbs kinetic energy to hunt a deer. Its trigger tech technology helps the crossbow work faster with a single press of your finger.
To eliminate dry fires, the manufacturer of the crossbow has used Nock sensor and adf does the same work. It has lightweight quiver to carry bows and shoot effortlessly. The crossbow also comes with two 20 inch headhunter arrows to allow you to shoot perfectly. You need to use lube wax after every ten shots. And, the lube ultimately comes with the crossbow as well. That’s why; we rate it the best crossbow on the market.
Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow Features:
- The crossbow comes with 350 feet per second to deliver you the best experience of shooting.
- Its draw weight is 150lbs that produce 103 kinetic energy to hunt an animal faster that other crossbows.
- It comes assembled so you should not worry about the complex assembly of the crossbow.
- Its stainless steel ensures its longevity, Nock sensor and adf prevent the crossbow to shoot dry fires.
- Trigger tech technology allows you to squeeze off shots in zero-creep release. It helps to speed up the accuracy of your crossbow.
What To Consider Before Buying A Crossbow For Deer Hunting?
You need to consider many things before buying a crossbow for deer hunting. Once you have better understanding about these aspects, you can purchase the best crossbow for deer hunting. Otherwise, it may be difficult for you to make the final decision.
It is one of the most important things you should consider before buying a crossbow for hunting a deer. If you overlook it, you may end up buying the wrong one that ultimately will not fulfill your needs. Different crossbows refer different bolt speed. Not only that depending on the bolt’s weight, speed differs as well.
However, the fastest crossbows can shoot up to 400 fps. But you don’t require too much speed because the faster the arrow will be, the harder and flatter your arrow will hit its target. So, using the moderate speed is ideal for a crossbow.
Many crossbows produce huge noise making you unstable while shooting. Some crossbows have whisper technology to prevent producing unwanted noise. Not only that some crossbows have special types of string and pulley that do not produce noise while drawing the arrow or shooting it.
Weight of the crossbow:
Your crossbow should be lightweight because you have to shoot frequently. And if your crossbow is lightweight, it will assist you to better perform. Heavier crossbows with heavier quiver tend to prevent you from showing your performance at the time of shooting. Lighter crossbows are effortless not only to carry but also to shoot.
Accuracy is important:
Accuracy is important to shoot perfectly. You can get up to 500 yards of shooting range in most modern designs of crossbows. But you don’t require too much accuracy for your crossbow. For your hunting purpose and accurate hunting, only 35 yard can do the work especially if you are beginner. On the other hand, for skilled shooter, they may need up to 60 to 80 yard of accuracy.
Sometimes it may happen that you need a crossbow for hunting a deer with some features. But some crossbows have way more features than you needs. In this case, you have to be smart and should buy one that can meet your needs. You don’t require to purchase a crossbow having many features which may not be needed for your prospect. So, be practical while buying a crossbow for hunting and save your hard-earned cash!
Note: If you are still in the dark and don’t know which one is suitable for your needs, then you should check our article on types of crossbows for your better understanding.
Why Should You Buy A Crossbow For Deer Hunting?
For accuracy at the time of hunting deer, nothing can beat a crossbow. So, for your hunting purpose, you need nothing but a good crossbow. With being said that there are other causes for buying a crossbow for deer hunting.
- A crossbow helps you hunt or shoot archery perfectly because of having proper accuracy to utilize.
- A crossbow requires less energy to shoot a deer because you just need to squeeze a trigger when you are ready to shoot. Even disabled hunters can operate the crossbow effortlessly.
- It works similar to a rifle, meaning you can use a crossbow in the same way you use a rifle to target something. You can also shoot from your sitting or kneeling positions as well.
- Having telescopic sights, it becomes easier for the hunters to shoot. It increases better vision at the sight of a deer while shooting.
- Crossbows can cover 40-50 yard distance to shoot an animal. But modern crossbows can cover more than that. Also crossbows can shoot at 250-330 fps which is ideal for hunting deer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let us answer some frequently asked question. You may also have these queries in your mind. That’s why; we would like to answer the following questions.
What distance should I zero my crossbow?
20 yards. Yes, your aim should be to zero in the top crosshair at a reserve of 20 yards.
Can you shoot a deer in the head with a crossbow?
It is somehow difficult to shoot a deer in the head with a crossbow because it moves and jumps frequently.
Can you use a crossbow to hunt deer?
Of course, you can use a crossbow to hunt a deer. A crossbow has better accuracy than other weapons to hunt a deer.
Can you put a scope on a crossbow?
Yes, you are free to put a riflescope on a crossbow.
Is 245 FPS enough to kill a deer?
Though 245 fps is not too slow, it is not enough to kill a deer.
The 5 best crossbows for deer hunting we have just reviewed are worth purchasing. Because we have spent hours and analyzed to determine the best products out there in the market. Still if you have confusion which one is good for you, let us do the hard work for you.
Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow should be the winner in this race. Its 375 fps allows you to shoot faster and accurately. It is a high-performance crossbow and ready to use. It has trigger tech techonology which allows you to target better at the animal. The crossbow has premium illuminated 4×32 millimeters multi-reticle scope for better targeting and shooting.