Archery and hunting have been a tradition for thousands of years, and bows are still great weapons for hunting or shooting. If you’re thinking about getting your hands on a bow as a traditional weapon, I’m here to help. Getting a bow can be a tricky job unless you know what type and design you are looking for. You’ll find a wide range of types for bows that you can get from high-end mechanical crossbows to non-mechanical compact longbows.
The confusion comes when you try to decide if you need crossbows with higher penetration or a longbow with the smaller form factor. I’ll get you through the benefits of both the Crossbow vs Longbow and help you decide which one to go with. Stick to the article to get your next archery magic wand that can give you a hunt and the confidence like your ancestors.
Table Of Content:
Follow these quick navigation links to jump to the specific sections of the article that you are interested in:
You can go through this comparison chart for both the products we’ve chosen to know the key differences between them:
Crossbow Vs Longbow: What Is The Difference?
Both the types of Crossbow vs Longbow have their distinct specifications and benefits. Choosing the right one for yourself will require you to know about them. Here, I will get you through the in-depth discussion and reviews about them both:
Crossbows come with a bow that is attached to a gun-like base that has a tension lever with it. The external mechanism helps you hold on the drawstring along with the arrow in a built-in groove. When you pull a trigger, the lever mechanism works and fires the arrow at a very high speed. The base comes with a stock in the back and a foregrip to hold it tight. You can hold the whole base like a gun to your shoulder and use it like a gun as well.
Benefits Of A Crossbow
Crossbows come with so many advantages because they combine modern technology with traditional archery. Here are the most beneficial aspects for crossbows you can have:
- Crossbows are super easy to learn and master as they come with fewer learning curves to go through. All you have to do is know how to cock and learn to trigger it like a rifle.
- Once you cock the arrow on the tension rail, the arrow is always ready to fire, just like a gun. You can concentrate on the aim and pull the trigger as soon as the target comes in.
- If you have a disability in your hand or cannot use both hands to shoot, you can use a crossbow to use one-handed.
- The crossbows deliver very higher energy compared to any other type of bows. You can hunt whitetail deer or elks easily with the power a crossbow will deliver you.
- You don’t have to put a lot of physical strength into the Crossbow like the Longbow or recurve. Crossbows have a lever to hold on to the string, so you don’t have to use your physical stretch to hold it.
1. Bear X Saga 405 Ready to Shoot Crossbow Package with 4×32 Scope, Quiver, Bolts, Cocking Rope, and Wax
The Saga 405 crossbow from Bear X comes with the highest possible strength and speed in archery. It comes with over 405 FPS of speed that can produce you a whopping 210 lbs of draw weight. That much power gives you a hard hit to get almost any animal, including whitetail deer or elk.
It has a high energy-producing 18 inches of length from axle to axle, which becomes 14 inches while cocked. Although it produces high tension and energy to the string, you will get a very low noise. The built-in suppressor, attached to the ending point, will absorb vibration and the noise.
You’ll get a 4x32mm scope with a multi crosshair reticle that has an adjustable eyepiece that makes it the best Crossbow under 400. Furthermore, it has an adjustable foregrip and an adjustable stock along with an anti-dry trigger mechanism to give you ultimate shooting flexibility.
Bear X Saga Features:
- The Bear X crossbow travels at 405 FPS at 210lbs to draw weight to hunt any animal.
- Its width while cocked is over 14 inches, where the uncocked width is 18 inches.
- You will get adjustability in the foregrip, the stock, even in the scope rail.
- This Crossbow comes with an adjustable 4×32 mm scope with a multi crosshair reticle.
- It will make no noise while shooting because of the built-in suppressor on the string end.
A longbow is the most minimal looking bow that comes with no mechanical parts to assist you with the shooting. It comes in a really long shape, possibly equivalent to the user’s height; that’s where the name comes in. The longer shape allows the archer to have a really long draw for versatile adjustability on the tension. The design of the Longbow is even simpler and straightforward than the recurve bow. The D-shape narrow design gives the longbows a significant low profile.
Benefits of a longbow
Getting a longbow is related to more with tradition rather than professional hunting. You can hunt with a longbow for sure, but there are other benefits to it as well, such as:
- You will get a better aiming and shooting experience with a longbow as it has a low-profile design. It will give you a deeper and heavier release for the arrow towards the target.
- For the shooting noise and sound, the Longbow has a lesser string slap that makes less noise than other types. It happens because of less contact of the string to the bow like recurve.
- The bigger size of the Longbow gives you greater versatility for the drawstring tension adjustability. You can get it as hard as possible and back as you can go, ensuring higher penetration.
- The Longbow gives you a more traditional vibe than any other bow type, and they come with a lesser price range as well.
2. Longbowmaker Hungarian Style Handmade Longbow Flagella Recurve Horsebow Archery 20-110LBS H1
This is a Hungarian style longbow from Longbowmaker is handmade and gives you the maximum vibe from a few centuries back. It has a huge length of over 54 inches that takes in a bowstring of 51 inches to give it a perfect shape and higher tension.
You can pull it from 28 to 33 inches back for the versatility in the variation in the tension for the string. It produces a draw weight of 20 lbs to 110 lbs, making adjustable hunting or target-shooting bow for both beginners and experts.
It has a great build quality by including multiple build materials, such as Wood, Glass steel, beech, and cow leather. The leather handle part is perfectly hand-stitched with pure leather strings and a high-quality twine wrapping around the edges of the leather.
Longbowmaker Hungarian Features:
- The Longbowmaker Longbow can produce 20 to 110 lbs of draw weight.
- It has a body length of 54 inches with a string length of 51 inches.
- You can pull the string back 28 inches up to 33 inches at the maximum safe draw.
- It’s a handmade longbow and hand-stitched, compatible with both left and right hand.
- The bow has a construction with Wood, Fiberglass, beech, and cow leather.
My Opinion: Which Is A Better Crossbow Or Longbow?
Now, as you know about both the Crossbow and Longbow, the biggest question is which one you should go with! Well, the answer to that question depends on the perspective you have for bows. If you’re planning on hunting big animals like elk or deer from a long distance, you must go for the Crossbow. However, if you’re planning on regular hunting with smaller distances and target shooting, the Longbow is a great choice. It is fully custom made and handcrafted with wood, cow leather, fiberglass to give you a great capability for hunting smaller animals.
Frequently Asked Question
Here are the most frequently asked questions about crossbows and longbows that you might are interested in:
When is the crossbow season?
Is a crossbow good for home defense?
How far can a longbow shoot accurately?
There are two different perspectives in selection when it comes to the comparison in Crossbow vs Longbow. Selecting the right one requires you to decide how much distance it should pass, how much penetration it can make. However, now you have the right guide to decide if you couldn’t decide earlier this article.
If you’re still confused about the best overall, I can suggest you get the Bear X Crossbow. It can produce you 405 FPS speed with 210lbs draw weight, which is fair enough to knock down any animal. You can adjust its scope for different distances for better accuracy and adjust both the stock and foregrip for flexibility.